Building a strong brand is essential for success. It is more than just a logo or a name; it represents your organization's personality, values, and identity. In the digital age, businesses have a wide range of tools and channels available to build their brand, and digital signage is one of the most effective mediums to use en masse. So let's explore the role of branding in digital signage content design.
One of the primary functions of branding is to create a consistent visual identity for your organization. The key here is consistency. You want to build recognition and trust with your customers. Customers who see a consistent visual identity across all touch points, including digital signage, are more likely to remember and recognize your brand. Lucidpress research found a consistent brand presentation increases revenue by up to 33%.
A digital signage network encompasses everything from single screens to video walls, interactive kiosks, and even mobile phones. Ensure you create a consistent visual experience across these devices through visual elements such as colors, fonts, logos, and imagery. For example, red, yellow, and golden arches have been synonymous with McDonald's for decades, making the restaurant easily recognizable virtually anywhere in the world. So when you visit a McDonald's restaurant, you will see these colors and elements integrated into their digital menu boards, drive-thru screens, self-service kiosks, and more.
Do your customers feel an emotional connection to your brand? Digital signage can be a powerful tool for creating an emotional connection with your audience. Leverage digital signage to evoke emotions and make a lasting impression by:
- Using captivating visuals: Leverage high-quality images, videos, and animations to capture attention and evoke emotion. On a college campus, these are highlights from sports events, student successes, or academic achievements.
- Creating a narrative: Connect with your audience using relatable characters and a clear message. In a healthcare facility, use visuals that reflect the area's demographics to make the content more relatable.
- Personalizing messaging: Create a personalized experience for your audience using IoT devices, data, and analytics to display relevant content to the viewer.
- Integrating social media: Use digital signage to integrate social media content, such as user-generated content or real-time feeds, to create a sense of community and connection.
- Conveying a sense of urgency: Create a sense of urgency or excitement, such as through limited-time offers, countdowns, or calls to action.
What separates you from your competition? Brand pillars are the core values and attributes that define your brand and guide decision-making. They represent your organization or brand's fundamental beliefs and principles and provide a framework for building brand identity, messaging, and marketing strategies. Express your pillars concisely and memorably to grab the attention of customers and employees. They are the cornerstone of creating messaging that connects with your audience.
Typically, three to five pillars define a brand's identity. These pillars should be specific to the brand and distinguish it from its competitors. Digital signage effectively communicates these pillars because it allows for dynamic and visually engaging messaging that can be updated and customized. Here are some tips for using digital signage to communicate your brand pillars:
- Use storytelling: Use storytelling techniques to bring your pillars to life and connect with customers emotionally. Use real-world examples, testimonials, or case studies to illustrate how your brand embodies its values and pillars.
- Showcase product demos: Leverage digital signage to showcase how your products or services align with your pillars. For example, if quality is one of your brand pillars, use digital signage to highlight the craftsmanship, materials, and attention to detail that goes into your products.
- Leverage interactive experiences: Create interactive experiences on devices such as touch screens through gamification that engage customers and reinforce brand pillars. Additionally, integrate social media into digital signage so customers feel seen and heard.
Branding plays a critical role in digital signage content design. A consistent visual identity, emotional connection, and brand messaging are all essential functions of branding that can be achieved using digital signage.